09 June 2012

Making Memories With Handmade Soap and Soy Candles

I'm happy to say that I truly love what I do. Getting up in the morning is often as exciting as Christmas when I get to unmold a cut a new batch of soap. This is when I get to see the end result and I get super excited when the soap turns out beautiful.

Sharing my passion of beautiful, amazing for your skin products with others completes my circle of fulfillment. I recently got a letter (not email!) from a customer that put my feelings into words in ways I've not been able to express.

"Dear Jill,

 I couldn't resist writing you a quick note to tell you a couple of things: ...

Your "Ocean Soap" bar is truly, truly a work of art. Your husband stood in your shop and described the process you use to create the layers of that soap. You, my dear woman, are truly an artist! (He is so proud of you.)



It was such a  pleasure meeting your family! This is one of the things I love about Lincoln City- the chance to buy at "mom and pop" places. Your husband was so gracious and so obviously proud of your talent. And your kids- oh, Jill, you have such sweet little girls! As you can tell by the copy of the fine drawing I'm including, your Elise graced me with the most delightful- an unexpected- gift: this wonderful picture. Isn't this darling? I'm so lucky! I have placed it on my wall, with fond memories of that lovely day when I walked into your shop.

You've probably already had enough experience with the public to know that we (me included) have the unfortunate habit of shopping for "price"- and often price alone. How sad is that, right? Because when we do that- you know, only caring about what is the "cheapest"- we neglect to stop and think about the talent, the skill-- the time!- involved in the creative process.

But your candles are obviously made with such craft- you can tell the minute you light one. The scent is, I don't know, "pure" somehow. (I hate those fake-y, waxy candle scents.) I am so glad I found you.

And it's people like you- and your darling family- who make that city (Lincoln City, OR) so special. Thanks again for sharing your talent with the rest of us!

A.W."

Meeting inspiring people like A.W. reminds me why I do what I do.  It's all about the memories...

I couldn't be who I am if it weren't for my family. Mr. Soapy is often behind the scenes, but he's always there. I am so grateful.


Happy day,
Jill
Making Memories with Soap


No comments:

Post a Comment